Monday, July 13, 2009

Then the bloat came

Google kept bragging that with their Chrome architecture will have less memory bloat than Firefox do.

But just how less is less? Is it half less than firefox do?

I guess even Google could not quantify less.

Shown below is what Google calls less.


Browsing all day (as I work at home), I noticed Chrome becomes slow. Slow at loading page. slow at rendering page (clicking other tab then back).

I tried closing the Chrome then relaunched again. Guess what. It did the trick, Chrome is as fast as it should be. So then I had this theory that I needed to put on test.

The next day my session started, browsing all day. Posting here and there. Playing some, reading some.

Then I get to a point where it feels all too slow again, I launched Task Manager. To my surprise, Chrome was having a hard time loading and rendering pages, whipping to 100% process time.

Then I closed Chrome then relaunched later. And look what it did. It freed almost 500MB worth of memory bloat.

Take note: I set Chrome to reload the pages I was viewing when I closed it.

Now, tell me. Just how less is less?

I smell some kind of bad marketing going on at Google.

No comments: