Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Connecting Sun Broadband Huawei 1550 USB modem on Ubuntu 10.04

I'm finally trying Mobile Broadband and friends recommends Sun -- because its the cheapest you can have in Philippines.

So before actually buying one, I tried my friend's Sun USB modem which happens to be a Huawei E1550. My Ubuntu 10.04 installation was upgraded from 9.10 via alternate CD (ISO). It had some problems upgrading because I am not connected to the Internet but went to upgrade most of the installations.

Based on my readings, I shouldn't be having any problem running Huawei E1550 on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (or 10.04) but I am.

I've repeatedly plugged and unplugged the device and kept restarting Ubuntu but nothing.

So I tried my other friend's Sun USB modem (the ZTE one) and Ubuntu recognizes it -- though I still couldn't connect.

I even went to one of Sun's store at SM Megamall's cyberzone just to ask for assistance but all I got was a sarcastic response. The guy said, "You (as in me) need to be techy to run (the modem) on Linux (Ubuntu)".

It was a blunt slap in the face being a programmer and going-4-years of using Ubuntu. Ouch!

I dare say that I am techy alright, just not enough to connect a damn Huawei E1550 on my Lucid Lynx Ubuntu installation.

A day later after a few googling, I bumped into a post saying that I have to install linux-backports-modules-headers-lucid-generic and usb-modeswitch packages -- possibly not installed on my Ubuntu due to problems I had while upgrading. The article was posted on the day I went to Sun store -- odd, eh?

True enough, Ubuntu started recognizing Huawei E1550 after restarting. Still, I couldn't connect.

I still had to change APN from minternet to fbband and one final restart I'm finally connected.

Not to mention, disabling EAP, CHAP, MSCHAP and MSCHAP v2 -- leaving PAP as the only enabled Authentication Method.

1 comment:

Samhain13 said...

Lolled at the "need to be a techie to run Linux". Apparently, the guys you spoke to are not techie enough to work in computer-related sales and support. Good post.